[Nhcoll-l] Herbarium organization

Neta Manela neta.manela at mail.huji.ac.il
Mon Jan 4 01:04:54 EST 2021

Hi all,

We have several dilemmas regarding the organization of our collection and
would be happy to hear how other herbaria deal with these subjects.

Our vascular plant collection is physically divided into local collection
(Israel and neighboring countries) and general collection (rest of the
world) (Regions within each collection are separated by color codes). I was
wondering if this separation is common in other herbaria and if there is
any consideration we should  take if we want to unite them into one main
collection (any pros and cons?).

Also, we are planning to update families, genera and species according to
the linear APG arrangement (keeping alphabetical arrangement by families).
I guess that this was done in other collections during the last decade and
I would like to ask for any advice that should be considered before and
during the process.

Cheers,

Neta

*Dr. Neta Manela | *Herbarium collection manager

*The **National Natural History Collections at the Hebrew University.*

The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
T +972.2.6584562 | F +972.2 6585785
neta.manela at mail.huji.ac.il