[Nhcoll-l] Techniques for taking toe pad samples?

Cassidy, Kelly Michela cassidyk at wsu.edu
Tue Jan 19 13:27:17 EST 2021

I am getting more frequent requests for toe pad samples for DNA sequencing, instead of skin clips.

I find it difficult to take these samples without putting stress on the prepared skin. The toe pads are tough and leathery. Scalpels don't cut into them very easily, if at all. The most recent request is for a sample from a vole, which has small feet.

Are there any techniques or recommended tools to help minimize stress and possible damage to skins when taking toe pad samples?

Dr. Kelly M. Cassidy, Curator, Conner Museum
School of Biological Sciences
Box 644236
Washington State University
Pullman, WA 99164-4236