[Nhcoll-l] Sleeves for Lepidopterans

Douglas Yanega dyanega at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 17:26:10 EDT 2021

On 7/1/21 1:04 PM, Menard, Katrina wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was curious whether there are collections out there that store
> sleeved lepidopteran material (like Odonata). We have a large amount
> of butterflies that are stored in paper and glassine envelopes that
> would take several lifetimes to spread, and we neither have the time
> nor space to go that route. We like the idea of glassine sleeves as a
> more permanent and protective way to store our enveloped material, but
> wanted more input from the community on this.

We have plenty of odonates in glassines in our collection, but these
appear to be some sort of plastic, and are therefore very different from
the glassines used for leps. I suspect there may be issues surrounding
the archival properties of the latter, especially since paper may be
acidic. We do have some very old papered leps (in both plain paper and
glassines), and I see signs that there may be chemical interactions
taking place; if you dump a lep out of a very old glassine, there is
often a visible "stain" where the specimen was, and it's not just the
body. These old glassines are also distinctly yellowed. It's reason to
be suspicious, at least.

Peace,

              https://faculty.ucr.edu/~heraty/yanega.html