[Nhcoll-l] Recommendations on jars for displaying fluid specimens

Dirk Neumann neumann at snsb.de
Mon Jul 26 04:10:24 EDT 2021

Hi Dakota,

adding to Simon's recommendations it might also be worth considering
twist-off jars if the jars are not for too long on display; they are
surely not as nice but do a good job if they have tight lids. If you
only tilt the jars and not fully lay them down (i.e. the lids not wetted
internally), the problem of potential leakage from not tightly-fitting
lids is minimised. This could be enhanced by using slightly larger jars
with less fluid but placing the specimens inside the jar in glass tubes
or something similar an positioning them horizontally within the jar
(e.g. by putting small glass stoppers etc. below the lower part of the
specimen.

The gallery / exhibition room should have stable room  temperatures and
relative humidity.

Hope this helps
Dirk

Am 24.07.2021 um 13:31 schrieb Simon Moore:
> Hi Dakota,
>
> If you’re going to tilt jars or lie them on their backs, then you will either need to use perspex-type jars (in which you cannot put alcohol as it softens the polymer!) or you must find an effective sealant  The silicone sealants are good but they must ideally have ‘flowable fluid’ on the sealant tube. The other silicones are too dense to make an effective seal for this purpose.
> The only problem with this method is that (once it has set - 8 hours) the sealant is difficult to reverse - I have tried a range of likely solvents and the only one that is effective is chloroform!  Even that takes about 48 hours, so if anyone (out there) can suggest a better reversing agent, then this would be most useful to know about.
>
> Practice using the sealant (you’ll need a spatula to spread it evenly around the sealed area) first as you have about 1 hour before the lid becomes more difficult to remove.
>
> With all good wishes, Simon
>
> Simon Moore MIScT, RSci, FLS, ACR
> Conservator of Natural Sciences and Cutlery Historian,
>
> www.natural-history-conservation.com
>

>> On 23 Jul 2021, at 23:46, Dakota Rowsey <drowsey at asu.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am putting together a small exhibit for our vertebrate collection and am interested in placing a small number of fluid-preserved specimens out on display. I am looking for recommendations for jars that both protect the specimens while on display while also making them more viewable at a variety of angles without distortion of the sides of the jar or obstruction from the lid. The specimens are relatively small and can fit in a 16 fl. oz. jar. Thank you in advance!
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Dakota Rowsey
>>
>> --
>> Dakota M. Rowsey, Ph.D. (he/his)
>> Vertebrate Collections Manager
>> Portal Manager, Consortium of Small Vertebrate Collections
>> Arizona State University Biocollections
>> 734 W Alameda Dr.
>> Tempe, AZ 85282
>> (480)727-5870

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Storage
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Storage
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/