[Nhcoll-l] Recommendations on jars for displaying fluid specimens

Cassidy, Kelly Michela cassidyk at wsu.edu
Mon Jul 26 16:18:07 EDT 2021

A couple of ideas that are probably feasible only if you want to remove the specimen from your research collection and dedicate it for use in teaching or exhibits. For small specimens, you can use a large, sealed tube, like the one with the skink. I did not create the “Skink in a Tube.” I don’t know what was used for a sealant.

We have a few specimens displayed in homemade boxes of some kind of acrylic filled with fluid and permanently sealed. I think they were made in the 50s or 60s. The acrylic is yellowed but they don’t leak (yet). I don’t know what the sealant was. The fish is held in place by clear plastic rods through its body. The rattler is always kept and transported in an outer plastic box big enough to contain all the fluid if it leaks. It’s a popular loan item for educational presentations and does a lot of traveling. So far, no leaks, which is amazing considering its age.

Dr. Kelly M. Cassidy, Curator, Conner Museum
School of Biological Sciences
Box 644236
Washington State University
Pullman, WA 99164-4236