[Nhcoll-l] Hide beetles

Emily M. Braker emily.braker at colorado.edu
Fri Jul 30 13:57:36 EDT 2021

Tonya,

Ideally dermestaria should be housed in a separate building than collections, but in practice, many museums host beetle colonies and collections under the same roof. It is not for lack of risk to collections - D. maculatus will absolutely feed on protein- and keratin-based specimens. Luckily, there are many physical barriers and policy measures you can employ to prevent the beetles from accessing collections. Here at CU our beetle colony is kept on a separate floor to segregate it from collections. We rub Vaseline around the inner lip of our tanks, which also have mesh lids. Should we have any escapees, our tanks sit in secondary receptacles (Tupperware totes and a horse trough) to help contain them, and we also have sticky tape around the door as well as a door sweep. Freezing skeletons after they have been processed is a must and hopefully will calm your existential dread! Even if you attempt to pick off every last larva, some are so small or deeply lodged in bone cavities that only freezing will ensure that you do not introduce them into the collection when you install your skeleton specimen. We keep a chest freezer in the beetle room and typically freeze for a minimum of 72 hours post-processing and have no known damage to collections from colony escapees/hitchhikers.

Best,
Emily,

p.s. I have heard museum lore about humidity conditions affecting beetles, especially that high relative humidity (>70%) can encourage the beetles to fly, though I have never witnessed this and would be curious about other institutions' experience. We have an arid climate ~25% most days, and the beetles are still very much active, but of course they have access to resources in the tank.

Emily Braker
Vertebrate Collections Manager, Zoology Section
University of Colorado Museum of Natural History
265 UCB, Bruce Curtis Building
Boulder, CO 80309-0218
Phone: 303-492-8466
http://www.colorado.edu/cumuseum/research-collections/vertebrates