[Nhcoll-l] Rehousing specimens and retaining labels

Sergio Montagud sergio.montagud at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 07:47:36 EDT 2021

What an interesting information, Erik.
Thanks to share

Sergio

From: Nhcoll-l <nhcoll-l-bounces at mailman.yale.edu> on behalf of Erik Åhlander <Erik.Ahlander at nrm.se>
Date: Friday, 4 June 2021 at 11:55
To: Simon Moore <couteaufin at btinternet.com>, Nicole Seiden <nseiden at fau.edu>
Cc: NHCOLL-new <nhcoll-l at mailman.yale.edu>
Subject: Re: [Nhcoll-l] Rehousing specimens and retaining labels

Dear Nicki,

As you already have been informed. Never ever discard the original label! Also the physical connection to the specimen is important. We have done the opposite: moved specimen to lager jars to be able to take care of the labels. If you have to save space: discard the specimens and keep the labels (OK, I am joking – maybe). I am presently regaining information lost in the 1790s through fragments of original labels. A picture of a label is not enough. The kind of ink and paper is important. We have plans for the future to test if chemical analysis of the labels can help understanding the origin of certain important specimens.

Best wishes,

Erik Åhlander

vertebrate zoology and museum history

ZOO