[Nhcoll-l] Rehousing specimens and retaining labels

Rincon Rodriguez,Laura rinconrodriguezl at ufl.edu
Sat Jun 5 11:59:21 EDT 2021

A further explanation about John's point 3. Collection Storage Arrays--if the collection is arranged by jar size, we will be able to make the collections more accessible to the community, to people who do not necessary need a background in systematics to understand the collection. Isn't the principal purpose of a collection to have the information available for everybody? I personally feel that if we don't implement and create new alternatives based on the society's needs, we will perpetuate those old established practices that we are still trying to get rid of. We are aware of the collection's potential to play a greater role in our society, but I feel that making this arrangement by jar size, we will be able to transform collections in different aspects. I feel that if more people understand collections and know what is happening "behind scenes", we will have more diverse voices who can speak up for collections.
How could we transform natural history collections in a community-centered and participatory space? For example, the physical space of a collection could have artistic interventions done by the community e.g., drawings, stickers, photos, quotes/notes can be place between the compactors, walls and shelves as a way to create a sense of welcoming and belonging spaces for both museum professionals and visitors. I speak from my experience because I don't have any background in Biology so my first experience getting into a scientific collection was very frustrating and overwhelming for me, because I wasn't even capable to understand the phylogenetic arrangement, I was thinking that maybe I shouldn't continue there but then John and his articles made me realize that I don't need to know about fish in order to care and management a collection.

Rob and UF Ichthyology staff said in their improving collection grant that "this new arrangement will provide an opportunity to transform how the public interfaces with the collection as well as improve its scientific value". Also, it will better help to collections staff to explain how the museum uses the collection, how they include a wider community and how the collection impacts instead of touting the size of the collection as Trevor Jones, Rainey Tisdale and Elizabeth Wood point out in their book titled Active Collections.

Also,  the new collection storage leads to advocate for better collection hiring practices, an interdisciplinary staff means more support, better knowledge, major improvements, broader support, and solutions from different perspectives. Collection staff do the best they can with the resources given, but how are collection managers going to continue facing those huge challenges?

Everything is connected here and change leads to another aspects. Therefore, it will be a good starting point for the field.

Thanks,

Laura Rincón
Museum Studies Master's student
University of Florida