[Nhcoll-l] Humidity in collection rooms, sparks, ignition and fire

Dirk Neumann neumann at snsb.de
Fri Jun 25 11:17:45 EDT 2021

We had a massive electric arc (2m!) sparking off a bad neon-light socket
in the fish collection ... it was very bright for a moment, and bitch
dark immediately thereafter, because the fuse went off. No fire.

And this was not a small electrostatic spark, but more of the category
/AMAZING/.

Before the renovation of our climate control system I was asked for
advice during the planning (fire rating of the storage rooms). To create
a combustible, saturated ethanol atmosphere, it would have been required
to knock more than 300 jars off the shelves. And even then, because of
the 2-time-fold air exchange rate per hour, it would have been even more
unlikely that a spark could ignite this.

--

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Storage
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Storage
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/