[Nhcoll-l] Antw: reliable shelf labels

Mary Beth Prondzinski mbprondzinski at ua.edu
Mon May 3 19:14:04 EDT 2021

Great idea!
________________________________
From: Nhcoll-l <nhcoll-l-bounces at mailman.yale.edu> on behalf of Cassidy, Kelly Michela <cassidyk at wsu.edu>
Sent: Monday, May 3, 2021 6:06 PM
To: nhcoll-l at mailman.yale.edu <nhcoll-l at mailman.yale.edu>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [Nhcoll-l] Antw: reliable shelf labels

(I’m not sure from your question exactly what you’re looking for, so this suggestion might be totally off-base.)

Finding a way to put a label on our metal fluid collections shelves was something I puzzled over for a while before coming up with a solution that met our needs. I wanted to be able to easily replace the labels without having to remove a taped label and retape a new one and I wanted the labels to be big enough to be easy to read and include the scientific and common names of the species on the shelf.  Since we operate on a shoe string budget (well, maybe more like a dental floss budget), it had to be a cheap solution.

Eventually, I came up with the idea of using Ziploc quart-sized freezer baggies to make pouches to hold labels. I cut off the top of the baggie (the “zipper”), then about an inch off the top of the clear side (so one side is a little shorter than the other). I tape the longer, back side of the baggie to the back of the front edge of the shelf. I provided pictures so the description will make more sense.

The baggies are cheap and easy to replace if they get torn. I print the shelf labels on card stock (heavy paper) and cut them down to size. A quart baggie holds a 6” x 5.5” label that can be easily removed and replaced. As a bonus, we can “color-code” our shelf labels. The teaching collections shelves have blue shelf and jar labels.

Dr. Kelly M. Cassidy, Curator, Conner Museum

School of Biological Sciences

Box 644236

Washington State University

Pullman, WA 99164-4236