[Nhcoll-l] freezing blown eggs

Rogers, Steve RogersS at CarnegieMNH.Org
Wed May 12 07:13:02 EDT 2021

Greetings Tonya,

The entire inside lining of the egg is certainly susceptible to being eaten. I blew a series of eggs once and did not put them in my screened in drying cabinet. I ended up getting a few phorid flies find their way through the holes, breeding and multiplying. I have also seen various small beetles inside older eggs in the collection within the genus Anthrenus. The cotton surrounding the egg set showing past infestations.

I would recommend freezing them like you would other dry specimens, inside plastic so no condensation on the specimens happens after bringing them up to room temperature.

Stephen P. Rogers (Mr.)
Collection Manager of Section of Birds
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
4400 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh PA 15213-4080
Phone: 412-622-3255
Email: rogerss at CarnegieMNH.org
The views, opinions, and judgments expressed in this message
are solely those of the author. The message contents have not
been reviewed or approved by Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh

________________________________
From: Nhcoll-l <nhcoll-l-bounces at mailman.yale.edu> on behalf of Haff, Tonya (NCMI, Crace) <Tonya.Haff at csiro.au>
Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2021 12:35 AM
To: nhcoll-l at mailman.yale.edu <nhcoll-l at mailman.yale.edu>
Subject: [Nhcoll-l] freezing blown eggs

Hello all,

I am wondering if any of you have thoughts on freezing egg collections for pest control? I imagine that it is probably ok, but then I wonder if there could be problems to the shell structure. Note I realise that there is not much for museum pests to eat in a blown egg, but there are lots of places for them to hide in and around the their housing. As usual, any thoughts or feedback would be very appreciated!

Cheers,

Tonya

Dr Tonya Haff

Collection Manager

Australian National Wildlife Collection

National Research Collections Australia, CSIRO

Canberra, Australia

Phone: (+61) 02 6242 1566 (office)

(+61) 0419 569 109 (mobile)

The information contained in this message and/or attachments is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any system and destroy any copies. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender.