[Nhcoll-l] FW: what materials use in collection storage rooms for walls, floors and ceilings.

Lennart Lennuk Lennart.Lennuk at loodusmuuseum.ee
Sat May 15 05:27:43 EDT 2021

Hi

Because I had no answers to my questions, I try again ☺
Two question on the material use for collection storage room walls, floors and ceilings:

1)      Is using PVC-flooring in fluid collection and in areas where people work with collections ok?

2)      Our new collections floors are planned to have concrete floors treated with Pentra-Guard<https://convergentconcrete.com/products/pentra-guard-ext>. In description I read it is based on lithium.

Some of the information I have found this far:

I found this in NPS Museum Handbook:
„Treat concrete floors with a sodium silicate sealing/curing agent. This hardens and increases the density of the surface of the concrete, helping protect it from cracking, dusting, and other damage. The floor should be easy to clean without the use of chemical cleaners or water“

And also an short introduction of an article about lithium chloride:
„UTILIZATION OF LITHIUM CHLORIDE SOLUTIONS FOR CONTROLLING RELATIVE
HUMIDITY IN MICRO ENVIRONMENTS
BEYER, SARAH R. and STEPHEN L. WILLIAMS, Museum of Texas Tech University, Lubbock,
Texas 79409-3191
The utilization of saturated salt solutions at known temperatures has been used by the museum
community for establishing desired relative humidities in microenvironments. To alleviate the
expense of acquiring different chemicals, the authors investigated the feasibility of using different
concentrations of lithium chloride for establishing and controlling relative humidity. Much of the
information about the relationship between concentration and relative humidity was extrapolated
from the literature. Subsequent testing demonstrated the usefulness of this information and how it
might be used for initiating controlled changes in microenvironments.“

Best regards
Lennart Lennuk
Head of collections
Estonian Museum of Natural History