[Nhcoll-l] Search engines for non-botany natural history collections

Scott LaGreca scott.lagreca at duke.edu
Tue Nov 9 13:36:18 EST 2021

Dear Colleagues,

I’m trying to estimate the number of species of organisms in a particular section of Duke Forest, a preserve/teaching/research forest owned by Duke University (where I work). I’ve searched the literature and found some publications that include e.g. plant inventories, etc. for Duke Forest, but not that many.

So I have been exploring using the different online natural history specimen search engines to answer my question. As a botanist I have a good handle on the search engines I can use to search herbaria (for vascular plants, bryophytes, you name it). I simply used the key words “Duke Forest” (or “Korstian Division”, the name of the section of Duke Forest I’m focusing on); I also drew polygons on maps within the search engines, which was also helpful. So, I now have a good rough estimate of the number of vascular plants, bryophytes, lichens and non-lichen fungi for the Korstian Division.

But I am not as familiar with similar search engines for non-botany (and non-mycology) natural history collections. I am aware of eBird, but I think that includes mostly observations, not actual specimen records, right? (Still, I may tap into it, since we have a lot more birdwatchers active than actual bird collectors). I’ve also heard of FishNet, for fish; but it is unlikely to give me any data for a forest…

Are there comparable search engines for species (specimen) records of herps, mammals, insects, and non-insect invertebrates (annelids, molluscs, spiders, etc.)?

Side note: I don’t really want to rely on iNaturalist observations because I’ve seen so many misidentifications there. But I will if I must. (Convince me!). iNaturalist also doesn’t have historical data (because the app is only a few years old—but am I wrong about this? Is anyone uploading historical records into iNaturalist?).

Again, I’m aiming to get a rough number of species of organisms for a given geographic area. If you can help me, please send me direct messages (rather than to the listserv) because I subscribe to the digest of this listserv, and I only receive my digest once per month. So I may not see your reply for a month.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give me.

Sincerely yours,

Scott

Scott LaGreca, Ph.D.
Collections Manager, Lichens