[Nhcoll-l] no data specimens

Rob Robins rhrobins at flmnh.ufl.edu
Thu Oct 14 14:27:44 EDT 2021

Well, it seems I find myself increasingly out-of-step with my peers.

To Catherine’s question…:

Is there any scientific value to tanned hides with no data?

…though not a mammologist, if you replaced “tanned hides” with preserved fishes, my answer is unequivocally, “No.”

Catherine is correct to point out that space issues are very real.

I’ll go further and say they need to be regarded more urgently, more rationally, more seriously by collection managers of natural history collections. If we aren’t exercising discipline regarding what research collections keep and what they don’t, how do we continue to make a case for ever larger facilities?

Yet, of six responses to Catherine’s inquiry – only one acknowledges space as a factor in making such a decision.

Conversely, multiple persons are quick to cite outlier cases where specimens without data had that data recovered (are we sure?) or wherein some other unscientific use for the specimens was found. (Fully support education. Our Teaching Collection overfloweth though).

Look. My emotional brain is disgusted and saddened by all the fishes I am throwing away for lack of data….all these animals…killed…for what?

But my rational brain? My critical thinking brain?

To those working to rehabilitate or find value in specimens with no data – at what price this opportunity cost? What more valuable materials are being neglected? Is this really what the institution – over the long arc of time gets the most benefit from? We are temporary stewards….

This crowd knows better than anyone: collections face serious threats and almost all boil down to money. And money is space and money is time. With rare exception, specimens without data in a research collection are a drain on both…

In the spirit of Halloween…

Too much whistling past the graveyard….!

Best wishes,

Rob

Robert H. Robins
Collection Manager
Division of Ichthyology
[FLMNH Fishes logo email small]
Florida Museum
1659 Museum Rd.
Gainesville, FL 32611-7800
Office: (352) 273-1957
rhrobins at flmnh.ufl.edu<mailto:rhrobins at flmnh.ufl.edu>

Search the Collection:
http://specifyportal.flmnh.ufl.edu/fishes/

Search samples suitable for dna analysis:
https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/grr/holdings/