[Nhcoll-l] no data specimens

Catherine Early (she/her) cearly at smm.org
Thu Oct 14 17:31:33 EDT 2021

Hi all,

Thank you, as always, for the thoughtful discussion. I had assumed the
tanning process would have yielded these skins unsuitable for ectoparasite
and other work. Andy, do you think even something like a hyena skin rug
would still house this information? I do think your imaging and keeping a
small portion of the hide idea strikes a good balance between preservation
and not taking up space unnecessarily.

While I do understand the reasoning behind keeping things in trust for the
future - and think your bat example does an excellent job of making that
point, Sue - it gets harder to apply it to specimens that were collected
for other reasons, like some of our hides that were hunted for sport by
museum trustees in the 1930's then donated to the collection...with no data
and *no taxonomic determination*. If any mammalogists on here want to help
with identification, I'm happy to send you photos! (And I may actually
request help with this in a separate NHCOLL post in the future).

We are very lucky to have a full-time conservator and full-time registrar
on staff to test for dangerous chemicals and make sure that there are
absolutely no records associated with the specimens that would make them
scientifically valuable. But even with that, we will still need to make
tough decisions, like what to do with the unlabeled jumble of fish bones
that would be a choking hazard in an education setting. Your responses will
help us make those decisions.

Best,
Catherine

<https://www.smm.org/>

*Catherine M. Early, PhD*

she/her

*Barbara Brown Chair of Ornithology*

e: cearly at smm.org

https://catherineearly.wixsite.com/home

We envision a world where everyone has the power to use science to make
lives better,
and we are committed to using STEM as a tool to advocate for justice and
equity.