[Nhcoll-l] The best way to preserve birds in spirit - revisited

Yuri, Tamaki yuri.1 at osu.edu
Fri Oct 15 09:50:07 EDT 2021

Hi all,

I found the following message by Simon Moore posted back in 2019 responding to Tonya Haff’s question about the best way to preserve birds in spirit.  I would like to preserve some bird specimens in alcohol (after fixing them in 10% formalin) and am interested in using this method to preserve color of feathers. Has anyone tried this method before or since this message was posted?  Are there any issues with this method of preservation?

I also saw that adding glycerine in alcohol alone can help preserve the color.  I am curious if anyone has done that as well.

I would really appreciate any help.

Tamaki

Tamaki Yuri, Ph.D.
Curator of Tetrapods Collection
Museum of Biological Diversity
The Ohio State University
1315 Kinnear Rd, Columbus, OH 43212
yuri.1 at osu.edu<mailto:yuri.1 at osu.edu> / mbd.osu.edu<http://mbd.osu.edu>

________________________________
Hi Tonya,

Bear in mind that EtOH is not a proper fixative and this would account for ’squishiness’!

There was an ornithologist called Serventy from Australia who formulated a special fluid for preserving colour in bird feathers:
Serventy's Colour Preserving fluid for Parrots
70% alcohol - 90 pts
36.5% formaldehyde - 5 pts
Glycerine - 5 pts

Given the formalin present, this would likely serve as a fixative and preservative, although, for a fresh specimen, an immersion in 10% formalin (and injecting it into the body cavities) for a few days (not as much as 10, that may compromise DNA) will benefit its long term preservation.
Bear in mind that Serventy’s fluid appeared when molecular biology was in its infancy and not a preservation issue.

With all good wishes, Simon.

Simon Moore MIScT, RSci, FLS, ACR
Conservator of Natural Sciences and Cutlery Historian,

www.natural-history-conservation.com

[The Ohio State University]
Tamaki Yuri, Ph.D.
Curator of Tetrapod Collection
Museum of Biological Diversity
College of Arts & Sciences Department of Evolution, Ecology and Organismal Biology
1315 Kinnear Rd, Columbus, OH 43212
yuri.1 at osu.edu<mailto:yuri.1 at osu.edu> / mbd.osu.edu<http://mbd.osu.edu>

Buckeyes consider the environment before printing.