[Nhcoll-l] Dealing with cracked carnivoran teeth

Simon Moore couteaufin at btinternet.com
Sun Oct 24 12:21:56 EDT 2021

I have also found this to be a problem as I used to prepare many carnivore skulls (and others) from fresh, when I worked at the NH Museum in London (pre-1991).  Only the canines tended to crack / delaminate whereas the other teeth were fine.  As suspected, this has to be with the drying process (too rapid and leading to this problem). I have known ivory dealers (pre-1947) have the same problem if RH dropped below c. 55% and they would put bowls of water into their display cases to counteract the drying effect of the lighting.  I have also excavated many 17th century ivory handled knives from the river Thames many years ago – same problem, as they gradually dried out, many (but not all) split longitudinally or at least slightly delaminated.
I realise that ivory and teeth are not quite the same composition but there seems to be a parallel.
However the question as to why canine teeth seem to be much more vulnerable to this problem (and ivory) is still unanswered!

Simon Moore, MIScT, FLS, RScI, ACR,
Conservator of Natural Sciences and Cutlery Historian

www.natural-history-conservation.com
Sent from Mail for Windows 10