[Nhcoll-l] international shipments being held up and extra fees

Amanda Bremner Amanda.Bremner at nbm-mnb.ca
Tue Oct 26 10:16:22 EDT 2021

Thank you Dirk and others for your input.
We have had an account with FedEx for years and have always shipped internationally using FedEx.  I regularly ship on average one package internationally every couple of weeks with FedEX.

What we are trying to figure out is, if we are using FedEx Express to deliver our packages, be our broker, and they have all the necessary documents to clear the package: why are packages still being held up in customs and why are we being charged additional fees after the fact?

Most loans being returned to us from the USA (by FedEx) this year are being held up in Mirabel, Quebec, Canada at customs and we are now being charged ~$60 per package in unexpected customs clearance fees (SWI - single window initiative fees and brokerage fees) from our broker, Livingston.

I cannot get a straight answer from Livingston OR FedEx to determine why this has changed.

How can we avoid having shipments being held up at customs and avoid these extra fees?

Thanks so much,
Amanda