[Nhcoll-l] Job posting at NYBG

Tarnowsky, Nicole ntarnowsky at nybg.org
Thu Oct 28 15:15:19 EDT 2021

Hi all,

Please see the posting below for a job opportunity at The New York Botanical Garden

Best,
Nicole

Nicole Tarnowsky (she/her)
Interim Director of the William and Lynda Steere Herbarium
The New York Botanical Garden
2900 Southern Boulevard
Bronx, NY 10458
ntarnowsky at nybg.org<mailto:ntarnowsky at nybg.org>
718-817-8812

Herbarium Collections and Outreach Administrator
https://www.nybg.org/about/work-with-us/employment/?p=job%2FodjahfwH

Apply <https://jobs.jobvite.com/nybg/job/odjahfwH/apply>

The Herbarium Collections and Outreach Administrator coordinates the Herbarium's visiting scientist program and the Herbarium's volunteer program, participates in Herbarium outreach activities and performs various daily functions of the Herbarium.

Additionally, this position supports, through actions and conduct, NYBG's Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accessibility initiatives and helps to build and maintain an inclusive organization culture throughout the institution.

The New York Botanical Garden is committed to an inclusive, diverse, equitable, and accessible work environment, and further recognizes that diversity in our workforce fosters excellence in our mission of advocating for the plants of the world. Leveraging the strong foundation of existing policies and practices, NYBG will advance inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility through a number of institutional initiatives presented through this plan. Our aspiration is to continue to cultivate a workforce and institution that is as diverse as the communities we serve and the audiences we engage.

Specific Duties and Responsibilities:

  *   Coordinate the Herbarium visitor program - this includes scheduling visits, orienting visitors for Herbarium use and managing specimens handled by visitors after they leave.
  *   Administer the Herbarium's volunteer program, both onsite in the Herbarium as well as online with citizen scientists.
  *   Assist with additional outreach activities such as tours, open houses.
  *   Assist in preparing and importing data from citizen science online platforms.
  *   Manage and process incoming new staff collections.
  *   Distribute duplicate specimens to sister herbaria.
  *   Number, digitize, and file newly mounted specimens with the help of onsite volunteers.

Requirements:

  *   Experience with herbarium management and curation
  *   Experience with specimen digitization techniques and data management
  *   Knowledge of plant taxonomy and nomenclature
  *   Excellent communication skills
  *   Familiarity with science/museum volunteers
  *   Familiarity with Spanish and/or Portuguese preferred

Please be advised, as a term and condition of accepting a job offer the candidate for employment must submit proof of full vaccination.  Candidates for employment unable to submit proof of full vaccination at the time of the offer will not be considered for employment.

This policy is subject to the reasonable accommodation provisions of Title VII and the American for Disabilities Act (ADA) and other EEO consideration.  If you believe that because of a disability or a sincerely held religious belief that you may be entitled to a reasonable accommodation or exemption to this policy please contact HR at nybg.org<mailto:HR at nybg.org>.

If you require an accommodation for any part of the application process, please notify the Human Resources department at HR at nybg.org<mailto:HR at nybg.org>.

EOE/BIPOC/F/Persons with disabilities/Veterans