[Nhcoll-l] Ink for priting labels for fluid preserved specimens

Dirk Neumann neumann at snsb.de
Wed Sep 1 05:56:11 EDT 2021

Dear Joosep,

there is a very good overview on this topic on the SPNHC WIKI pages
<https://spnhc.biowikifarm.net/wiki/Labeling_Natural_History_Collections>,
but there is no easy straight forward answer to this question, because
"printing" always is a combination of printing medium, printing method
and the printer itself and thus a lot a variables that influence your
result, i.e. the label that is placed in the jar.

Sadly, printers and required inks and toners change constantly and at
high rate. Parts of our collections for example still use the good old
HP600 monochrome fossils, but HP decided to finally end the production
of the ink cartridges. So it would be good to have an eye on
'availability' (how long have specific printers been on the market, how
likely is it that they will still be supported in 20 years from now).

In your case, I would look into inkjet printer that use a system similar
to that of the old HP printer, which boil up the ink and shoot them into
the paper, so that the pigments of the ink penetrate into the pulp of
the paper and not only sit on the covering layer. This improves abrasion
resistance of the imprint.

The are quite a few inkjet printers that are rated to produce permanent
/archival-quality prints, i.e. these printers should use a high quality
pigment ink. But it might be worth checking available details of the ink
and the printing method. I once tested durability of labels by putting
specimens (field tags and gill tags) into a  PE-bottle and put it in a
washing machine for a full cold washing programme to see of gill tags
would stay in place and test tables for abrasion resistance before we
left for field work on extremely bumpy roads in Africa ...

Hope this helps,
Dirk

Am 01.09.2021 um 09:48 schrieb Joosep Sarapuu:

> Hi,
>
> Just in case I also add here the paper we are using these days:
>
> Resistall paper Sheets 584 x 457mm
> (https://www.preservationequipment.com/Catalogue/Conservation-Materials/Paper-Board/Herbarium/Resistall-Paper-Byron-Weston-Co-Strong-when-wet
> <https://www.preservationequipment.com/Catalogue/Conservation-Materials/Paper-Board/Herbarium/Resistall-Paper-Byron-Weston-Co-Strong-when-wet>)
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joosep

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Storage
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Storage
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/