[Nhcoll-l] Vacuum for specimens

Dirk Neumann neumann at snsb.de
Fri Sep 3 05:07:50 EDT 2021

... adding to Simon: might be worth knowing the conservation history of
the skins, especially in the case of historic specimens that might be
contaminated with arsenic and similar; filters in most vacuum clears are
not equipped to hold such sort of contaminants back, and the exhausted
air would disperse the contaminants in the storage area. Some vacuum
cleaners allow connecting of pipes on the exhaust outlet, which would
allow to divert this air for example into a fume hood or similar devices
that are equipped with the required filters.

Might be worth considering ...
Dirk

Am 03.09.2021 um 10:40 schrieb Simon Moore:
> Hi Tonya,
>
> You’ll get a lot of answers for this I expect.  Don’t forget the vacs that you can wear like a back-pack, if you’re up a ladder and ensure you have a variable speed knob/adjuster, there is quite a range under the varying titles of Museum or Conservation vacuum cleaners.
>
> With all good wishes, Simon
>
> Simon Moore MIScT, RSci, FLS, ACR
> Conservator of Natural Sciences and Cutlery Historian,
>
> www.natural-history-conservation.com
>

>> On 3 Sep 2021, at 02:00, Haff, Tonya (NCMI, Crace) <Tonya.Haff at csiro.au> wrote:
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I thought that this had been a NHCOLL discussion before, but I can’t seem to find the info I am looking for, even in the archives (so apologies for redundancy).
>>
>> I would like to purchase a vacuum for cleaning study skins and trays. I know it should have adjustable suction, and maybe need some sort of custom built stand for it to sit on, with casters and a prop to hold up the hose (so it doesn’t get in the way or accidentally knock specimens). To use it I would get some brush and small area attachments, and of course use textile cloth as a filter or something like that when appropriate. Is there anything else I should be thinking of, or any specific vacuums that are great for this purpose?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Tonya
>>
>> Tonya M. Haff, Ph.D.
>> Collection Manager
>> Australian National Wildlife Collection
>> CSIRO

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Storage
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Storage
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/