[Nhcoll-l] New food freezing concept improves quality, increases safety and cuts energy use

Dirk Neumann neumann at snsb.de
Wed Sep 15 11:57:13 EDT 2021

Hi Lennart,

if the idea is to lower the risk of freezer burns and humidity loss by
sublimation, repeated spraying with water mist might be an alternative
instead of plunging the entire specimens into a liquid.

This spraying creates a tiny ice-layer, this method is widely used to
protect marine food that is transported over long distances (e.g. air
freight, e.g., the glossy crayfish you find find in the freezers in
supermarkets are treated this way), but I am not obviously an taxidermy
expert but a fish guy and this thought might be of limited help. Also,
the question is if this method would work with "hairy" stuff.

With the method you linked, you presumably would require a lot of space
to store the filled-up containers containing the frozen specimens, which
is available in refrigerated warehouses, but perhaps not so in museums.

Carbon footprint: keep in mind that in refrigerated warehouses you have
constant travel of things going in and out (processed foot items,
forklift traffic, staff), which is not necessarily the case in specimens
awaiting preparation in our sector.

Cheers,
Dirk

Am 15.09.2021 um 02:21 schrieb Elizabeth Wommack:
> Hi Lennart,
>
> Interesting idea, but what about those specimens you do not want to
> get wet before prep?
>
> Cheers, Betg
>
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 12:53 Lennart Lennuk
> <Lennart.Lennuk at loodusmuuseum.ee
> <mailto:Lennart.Lennuk at loodusmuuseum.ee>> wrote:
>
>     ◆ This message was sent from a non-UWYO address. Please exercise
>     caution when clicking links or opening attachments from external
>     sources.
>

>     Could this also be a case for freezing animals for longer periods
>     with better quality before taxidermy?
>
>     New food freezing concept improves quality, increases safety and
>     cuts energy use
>     https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/09/210902174801.htm
>     <https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/09/210902174801.htm>
>
>     Shifting to a new food freezing method could make for safer and
>     better quality frozen foods while saving energy and reducing
>     carbon emissions, according to a new study. A complete change over
>     to this new method of food freezing worldwide could cut energy use
>     by as much as 6.5 billion kilowatt-hours each year while reducing
>     the carbon emissions that go along with generating that power by
>     4.6 billion kg, the equivalent of removing roughly one million
>     cars from roads.
>
>     Get Outlook for Android <https://aka.ms/AAb9ysg>
>
> --
> Elizabeth Wommack, PhD
> Curator and Collections Manager of Vertebrates
> University of Wyoming Museum of Vertebrates
> Berry Biodiversity Conservation Center
> University of Wyoming,
> Laramie, WY 82071
> ewommack@ <mailto:ewommack at berkeley.edu>uwyo.edu <http://uwyo.edu/>
> www.uwymv. <http://www.uwymv.edu/>org
> UWYMV Collection Use Policy
> <http://www.uwymv.org/index.php/download_file/view/43/143/>

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Storage
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Storage
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/