[Nhcoll-l] collecting and preserving animal tissue samples

Lennart Lennuk Lennart.Lennuk at loodusmuuseum.ee
Thu Sep 30 07:36:53 EDT 2021

Dear all,

Do you have good material about collecting and preserving animal tissues?
I already search older nh-coll list letters and spnhc wiki.

I have some specific questions:

-          what vials are best for preserving the tissue samples?

-          does 96 EtOH in -25 Celsius work? No money for -80 freezer

-          How many tissues per animal is optimal?

Our purose will be to preserve the tissue samples of the animals we make for taxidermy collections in case a researcher
wants to have a DNA sample of the animal.

Best regards!
Lennart Lennuk
Head of collections
Estonian Museum of Natural History