[Nhcoll-l] Ziploc storage

Lazo-Wasem, Eric eric.lazo-wasem at yale.edu
Mon Apr 4 10:37:27 EDT 2022

For a number of years now we have used 2-dram vials for storing small runs of dried crustaceans (barnacles, etc.) and small invertebrates, including small gastropods.  These are the same vials we use for nested storage of fluid preserved specimens (small critter into a 1/4 dram vial, nested within a 2 dram vial, multiples in jars).

Generally speaking, we have used these for "project" based storage, when an accession or research derivatives (vouchers) are kept together.  We do not arrange these systematically, but in a simple numerical ordering that allows for quick retrieval.  Vials are kept in standard museum trays in a drawer within a cabinet.  Literally thousands of vials can be stored in a relatively small amount of space.  Key of course, is having the material cataloged and with storage location codes.

Eric

Eric A. Lazo-Wasem, Senior Collections Manager

Division of Invertebrate Zoology

Peabody Museum of Natural History

Yale University

170 Whitney Avenue