[Nhcoll-l] Advice on waterproof/washable keyboards for lab work

Emily M. Braker emily.braker at colorado.edu
Thu Apr 7 13:49:33 EDT 2022

Hi Ryan,

We use silicon keyboard skins when inventorying and rehousing fluid-preserved collections to protect our laptops from ETOH and contamination. They are easily washed and have held up for over four years now: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GXKD0SE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We also tend to use flocked nitrile gloves when working with our wet imaging station where a technician needs to go back and forth between a computer and the wet tank. The gloves are easy to take on and off with the flocking, so they can be reused many times before disposal. They are a bit pricey though, so they may not be ideal for one-off prep uses.

https://www.fishersci.com/shop/products/microflex-dura-flock-flock-lined-nitrile-gloves/19045860?ef_id=Cj0KCQjwl7qSBhD-ARIsACvV1X2XD78IhL1PldpxqxBGeaXzb_oXzt0Q2bm3zGViad4F3ZGWwK-WntkaAtbxEALw_wcB:G:s&ppc_id=PLA_goog_14403272621_126084879253_19045860__541272256452_678696277541733277&ev_chn=shop&s_kwcid=AL!4428!3!541272256452!!!u!297767879175!19045860&gclid=Cj0KCQjwl7qSBhD-ARIsACvV1X2XD78IhL1PldpxqxBGeaXzb_oXzt0Q2bm3zGViad4F3ZGWwK-WntkaAtbxEALw_wcB

Best,
Emily

Emily Braker
Vertebrate Collections Manager, Zoology Section
University of Colorado Museum of Natural History
265 UCB, Bruce Curtis Building
Boulder, CO 80309-0218