[Nhcoll-l] Fluid preservation jar lids

Callomon,Paul prc44 at drexel.edu
Tue Aug 16 20:18:13 EDT 2022

I agree with Rob; we could not find any account of cotton deteriorating in ethanol, nor any chemical reason why it should. We have used it as an internal divider in shared containers for more than a century. The problem of picking up spines can be partially mitigated by tightly rolling the cotton into a sausage, then bending it double and sticking the doubled end into the vial and ; that way, the part facing the specimen is a smooth wall of curved fibers, not an open brush.

Paul Callomon
Collection Manager, Malacology and General Invertebrates
Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University, Philadelphia
callomon at ansp.org Tel 215-405-5096 - Fax 215-299-1170