[Nhcoll-l] [EXT] Sea turtle restoration

Valerie Tomlinson VTomlinson at nature.ca
Tue Dec 6 09:25:08 EST 2022

Hi Art,
First question is: are there any future scientific analyses that you don't want your treatment to interfere with?
Second question: what is the intended use of the specimen in question?
Once you've answered that question, then you can look at what treatments are possible within those bounds.
It might be a case of packing things carefully so that the pieces don't get disassociated. If there is no intent to display, then it doesn't have to look pretty. It just has to be use-able for research, and/or stable in storage until it is needed.
If it does need to look like an assembled and complete shell, and you don't have to worry about interference with analyses, then I would probably start my adhesive search with Paraloid B72. You could also use that as your topcoat if you wanted. It's more reversible and less prone to yellowing than polyurethane.

Valerie Tomlinson