[Nhcoll-l] Supplier for silicone based gaskets for (herpetology) specimen jars

Fabian Neisskenwirth info at naturhistorische-konservierung.de
Thu Feb 3 07:53:10 EST 2022

Dear Stevie,

I would recommend you to ask some plastics or rubber manufacturing
company if they can cut you a big batch with specific sizes. When I
worked in the Ruhr Museum in Essen I ordered a little batch of 150
gaskets made of fluorine rubber which is very resistant to both ethanol
an formaldehyde fumes (see attachment). The nice thing about letting
them be made by the company was that I could customize the size, the
material and all necessary characteristics. Usually the plastics come as
long rolls in different strengths, so the rubber manufacturer just cut
the rings out of the rubber "sheet". Ask some rubber manufacturers about
companies that could help, that's how I got through.

About the material:

There is a wide span of materials which are much better that silicone if
you want to contain ethanol. Silicone is permeable to ethanol. If you
are topping-up regularly, it should work fine, but the ethanol will
evaporate with time. Rubbers like EPDM or the Buna-O (which is NBR) that
Andy talked about are much more suitable for ethanol. The problem with
fluorine rubber (beside its price) is that it is very hard (arround
70-75° Shore) so its not very elastic, still it has worked out very well.

To Tonya´s question:

The same counts for the liners, silicone is in this case very resistant
to formaldehyde fumes, but I have not seen pure silicone cap liners
anywhere and it will let ethanol escape at some point. The GLS 80 jars
from Duran have a new special cap with a silicone/PTFE coated liners
that work incredibly good, but they only fit on that jars:
https://www.dwk.com/duran-pure-gls-80-screw-cap

Since Duran makes very good borosilicate jars, I would strongly
recommend to have this in mind. At a certain amount, it would be
possible to manufacture some batch of jars without any filling markers.
As I was informed 3 years ago.

Hope this helps, all best to both of you!