[Nhcoll-l] Grate covered trenches in alcohol collection facilities

Dirk Neumann neumann at snsb.de
Tue Feb 8 15:55:58 EST 2022

Hi Rob and all,

we don't have such trenches, but a slightly uneven floor and uneven door
sills. Be careful with pneumatic (larger) rubber tires; as John pointed
out fully loaded, heavy carts can deform the tires, especially if the
payload remains on the cart, e.g. over night, the tires might be
deformed, even if inflated to the max. The same applies to some full
rubber wheels. We replaced wheels again and equipped our cart with
larger fixed rollers for heavy loads. The steel centre and the rather
sturdy and slim rubber hoop surely to not support the smooth wheeling,
but these wheels are a fair compromise.

In the Brussels collection they have deep trenched tiles on the floors
in the collection space, carts in the old carts in the collection
(surely also form the 1930ies) have very large steel wheels with rubber
hoops. They run rather smoothly, which is because of the large wheels.

Hope this helps
Dirk

Am 08.02.2022 um 18:47 schrieb Callomon,Paul:

> I agree with John that carts with larger-diameter wheels are a good
> idea. You can often retro-fit existing carts with bigger wheels. They
> don’t need to be pneumatic as long as they have rubber tires; the
> diameter is the main thing. However, bear in mind that every extra
> inch of wheel diameter (and soft tires) makes the cart easier to tip,
> especially if it is loaded with heavy jars on the top. It’s best
> either to use a lower cart or to load things on the bottom shelf.
>
> I think the ideal wet collection wagon is – yes – the Radio Flyer! It
> has a tall rim to stop bottles tipping, is watertight if anything
> leaks, has nice big wheels and a long steering handle and is
> reasonably priced.
>
> https://www.spokesman.com/galleries/2017/jul/22/100-years-of-the-radio-flyer/
>
> Paul Callomon
>
> Collection Manager, Malacology and General Invertebrates//

> *Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University***
>
> 1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway, Philadelphia PA 19103-1195, USA
> /prc44 at drexel.edu <mailto:prc44 at drexel.edu> Tel 215-405-5096 - Fax
> 215-299-1170/

> society. Seehttp://www.spnhc.org  for membership information.

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Storage
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Storage
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/