[Nhcoll-l] Advice on estimating the value of donated collections?

Angela Linn ajlinn at alaska.edu
Mon Feb 28 10:29:30 EST 2022

The way our museum handles insurance values on our collections in order to report to our central risk management department is to think about the replacement value. If you had to go out and mount an expedition to re-collect those materials what might it cost per item. Cultural materials and many earth science specimens have fair market values so you can look at public auction sites to get a sense of what those items are selling for.

And yes, this is only for insurance values. Museums are prohibited by the IRS to place appraisal values on collections for donors (due to some unethical situations in the ‘70s). If a donor asks for an appraisal you can direct them to the American Society of Appraisers (https://www.appraisers.org/) to find someone nearby.

Good luck!
Angela

Sent from my iPhone