[Nhcoll-l] [External] Advice on estimating the value of donated collections?

Tacker, Christopher christopher.tacker at naturalsciences.org
Mon Feb 28 13:50:46 EST 2022

Everyone has offered good advice here.

Apart from conflicts of interest, the one that does the appraisal stands to get involved with the state or federal tax enforcement. If the appraisal is called into question, that represents a nearly limitless time sink in hearings or in court.

We tell donors that we will work with whatever appraiser they designate. We still get offers of "I'll donate this if you'll get me an appraisal for X amount of money." That's a big "no, thank you."

Chris Tacker

Chris Tacker, Ph.D., P.G.
Research Curator of Geology
North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences
11 West Jones St. | Raleigh, NC  27601

Emails to and from this address are subject to NC Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.