[Nhcoll-l] Leatherback sea turtle

Watkins-Colwell, Gregory gregory.watkins-colwell at yale.edu
Tue Jan 25 08:23:07 EST 2022

Sergio,
You are correct.  Taxidermy is not a pretty thing for these turtles.  I think if you can find somebody who can either make a cast or a 3D print of the specimen it will be a better display.  Then perhaps make a research skeleton with the specimen.  I've done that by composting the specimen as one would for marine mammals. It works rather well, but the shell for leatherbacks does fall apart nearly completely and it is always oily.

But for certain, if you want an exhibit from this specimen I 100% suggest doing something like a cast or a print rather than taxidermy or even a mounted skeleton.

Good luck!

Greg

****************
Gregory J. Watkins-Colwell
Sr. Collection Manager, Herpetology and Ichthyology
Division of Vertebrate Zoology
https://orcid.org/0000-0002-7789-9806
YALE PEABODY MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY
Main Office: 203-432-3791;  West Campus: 203-737-7568; Fax 203-432-9277

Package shipping address:
Greg Watkins-Colwell
Division of Vertebrate Zoology
YALE PEABODY MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY