[Nhcoll-l] Tracking in-house specimen usage

Dirk Neumann neumann at snsb.de
Fri Jan 28 13:16:10 EST 2022

Hi Sarah,

we developed a standardised Excel-sheet for consumptive tissue sampling
that also collect extraction and DNA data, or consumption of DNA
samples, respectively. These support workflows for picking samples
directly i.e., via simple print-outs with key data such as tube number,
tube position on extraction plate, etc. that are conveyed from of the
long Excel table with formulas to a second tab, which is supported by
additional fields for required database updates to be done.

Import schemes for our database are matching to respective field on the
first tab containing all data, and thus, by running different import
schemes over the same excel sheet, we can easily update database entries
after tubes have been picked, DNA has been extracted, and DNA aliquots
to be added to tissue tube entries after extraction.

This made life a lot easier. Similar systems might be useful for other
sorts of destructive sampling as well.

For removal of jars, we started to add placeholder cards to shelves
similar to those John suggested, however, we didn't standardise them so
far, which resulted in that sort of "individualism" John mentioned and
that you definitely want to avoid.

Our bottleneck to record how many specimens were used is the returning
of jars, when we record number of jars and included individuals, which
are used for our annual report.

Hope this helps
Dirk

Am 28.01.2022 um 18:05 schrieb Sarah K. Huber:

> I would be curious how different collections track in-house usage of
> specimens. I have tried many different protocols for doing this in our
> collection, and none have been completely successful. I would also be
> curious, given your protocol, how compliant users are. (We do not have
> our specimens bar-coded, so this is not an option for tracking at this
> time.)
>
> I do record when specimens get re-shelved, but without knowing when
> they left the collection, I am unable to determine the amount of time
> (months, years, decades) that they were used. Therefore, my annual
> reporting statistics don’t necessarily reflect actual specimen usage.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sarah
>
> Sarah K. Huber, Ph.D.
> Curatorial Associate, VIMS Nunnally Ichthyology Collection
> Office 804.684.7104 | Collection 804.684.7285
> skhuber at vims.edu <mailto:skhuber at vims.edu> |
> http://www.vims.edu/research/facilities/fishcollection/index.php
> <https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vims.edu%2Fresearch%2Ffacilities%2Ffishcollection%2Findex.php&data=04%7C01%7Cskhuber%40vims.edu%7C1063bb0e1daf4ab0024f08d897b1267f%7C8cbcddd9588d4e3b9c1e2367dbdf1740%7C0%7C0%7C637426134417674979%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=OEa%2F3y6PHz5lBFNRFMSFFSdxbyTq%2BBGC5PculkLg7nc%3D&reserved=0>
> PO Box 1346 | 1370 Greate Rd., Gloucester Pt., VA 23062

> society. Seehttp://www.spnhc.org  for membership information.

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Storage
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Storage
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/