[Nhcoll-l] Advice on estimating the value of donated collections?

Hannu Saarenmaa hannu at bioshare.com
Tue Mar 8 06:48:38 EST 2022

The answer is "nil". In computer science terms that means it does not
exist.  Nil also means "infinite".

Museum objects are irreplaceable. So there is no commercial value.  Or
something that can be insured. Natural science collections cannot be
insured.

My company bioshare.com regularly sends collections over the European
Union border, for digitization, that is. While doing that, we have to
put something in the customs forms. And to inform our insurance
company.   So we put there the value of the paper sheets which carry the
[invaluable] herbarium sheets, or other objects.   That currently is 28€
per specimen. Do not laugh.  This is how it works.

Anyway, I still prefer to report "nil" or zero value for the
irreplaceable.  If I can.

Hannu Saarenmaa  www.bioshare.com