[Nhcoll-l] Drums, etc

Andrew Stewart AndrewS at tepapa.govt.nz
Thu May 5 16:26:08 EDT 2022

Hi Tonya,

Our larger specimens are stored in fifty 250 litre stainless steel tanks (1.4 m long), and the workhorse of one hundred & twenty eight 500 litres (2.0 m long). These are secured in the room and moved into a workroom, to get specimens in & out, using a pallet jack. For the biggest specimens we have eight fixed tanks of 850 to 3300 litres. These tanks have a glycerine vent valve to release pressure when the weather changes. The room is monitored for alcohol spikes, the air is changed over. Temperature in there is held at 18C +/- 1C & 55%rh +/- 5%. The lids have a silicon gasket and are held down with eight (250 l) or 14 (500 l) catches. The volume and shape of the tanks has been driven by the fact that a majority of them hold fishes, and we have found this to be the optimal shape. These tanks are manufactured by a local metal fabrication company, Etech.

[Tank farm]

Cheers
Andrew Stewart

>><<<)o>