[Nhcoll-l] FedEx shipping to Canada and usage of broker

Bentley, Andrew Charles abentley at ku.edu
Mon May 9 16:42:30 EDT 2022

Hi all (especially Canadian colleagues)

We (University of Kansas Biodiversity Institute) have recently had a couple of FedEx specimen packages going to Canada held up in Canadian customs due to us not including broker information on our USFWS 3-177 export declarations.  We have never had to include broker information before for any international packages (not even Canadian) and so I am wondering whether something has changed recently or whether there is something we have been missing all along.  It was my understanding that a broker was not needed and that FedEx acted as our broker during transit.

Could someone clarify the situation in Canada or generally please?  This is not an inexpensive addition to our shipping costs and also causes unwanted delays.

Thanks

Andy
    A  :             A  :             A  :
 }<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<)))_°>
    V                V                V
Andy Bentley
Ichthyology Collection Manager
University of Kansas
Biodiversity Institute
Dyche Hall
1345 Jayhawk Boulevard<x-apple-data-detectors://9/>
Lawrence, KS, 66045-7561<x-apple-data-detectors://9/>
USA<x-apple-data-detectors://9/>

Tel: (785) 864-3863<tel:%28785%29%20864-3863>
Fax: (785) 864-5335<tel:%28785%29%20864-5335>
Email: abentley at ku.edu<mailto:abentley at ku.edu>
ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-3093-1258
http://ichthyology.biodiversity.ku.edu<http://ichthyology.biodiversity.ku.edu/>
    A  :             A  :             A  :