[Nhcoll-l] vouchers

Lewis, Deborah A [EEOB] dlewis at iastate.edu
Thu Nov 3 11:50:37 EDT 2022

Thanks for clarifying!
Deb

From: Callomon,Paul <prc44 at drexel.edu>
Sent: Thursday, November 3, 2022 10:43 AM
To: Lewis, Deborah A [EEOB] <dlewis at iastate.edu>; nhcoll-l at mailman.yale.edu
Subject: RE: [Nhcoll-l] vouchers

If specimens are cited in a study, then they're vouchers for that study. Whether people later use different techniques to analyze them than were used in the original study (or no-one ever looks at them again) does not alter their status. The whole point of keeping vouchers is to allow reassessment of hypotheses that are based on them by reassembling the original evidence. The voucher sleeps until the hypothesis is reexamined (or, in Latourian terms, the "black box" is reopened).

To call DNA snips "vouchers" just because they allow a certain kind of analysis is a misnomer; if the specimen itself is a voucher for an expedition then the snip is part of that voucher. Otherwise, cutting the snip and keeping it frozen is just an alternate form of preservation, the same as keeping a shell in with the shells and its mounted radula in with the microscope slides.

Paul Callomon
Collection Manager, Malacology and General Invertebrates
Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University
1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway, Philadelphia PA 19103-1195, USA
prc44 at drexel.edu<mailto:prc44 at drexel.edu> Tel 215-405-5096 - Fax 215-299-1170