[Nhcoll-l] voucher

Douglas Yanega dyanega at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 15:12:34 EDT 2022

On 11/3/22 11:12 AM, Simon Moore wrote:
> Thanks Doug,
>
> If we’re getting into type designations, I though that paratypes were
> the other specimens collected with the holotype, and that if the
> holotype was a female then a male allotrope would be designated as
> well if both sexes were present.  If no holotype was described
> (unusual these days) then the original collection would be syntypes?

Types in zoology and botany are slightly different, so I'll give the
minimal info for zoology. Paratypes are any specimens from any source
that the author states are specimens of a new taxon in that original
paper, and ONLY in that original paper. They may or may not be the same
sex or life stage as the holotype, or from the same geographic region.
Designation of one specific paratype as an "allotype" is a practice not
endorsed by the ICZN Code; it is an archaic practice, and we discourage
it because it confuses people into assuming that those specimens are
important in some way, and they aren't. Once a description of a new
species is published, an author cannot designate more paratypes, nor can
other authors.

Syntypes are either when no single specimen was selected from among the
original material used for a description, *or* when an author
intentionally designated multiple types in addition to having a set of
paratypes. It isn't done very often any more, but it can actually be
useful under *very* specific circumstances. For example, if I captured a
*mating pair* (in copulo) of an insect I decided was a new species,
having BOTH specimens as syntypes is preferrable, because they are then
both curated more carefully (often physically separate from the rest of
the collection), and if one is lost, the other still exists. Also, in
the very, VERY unlikely event that this was a hybrid coupling, a
subsequent author would be *free to choose* which one to make the
lectotype.

Peace,

              https://faculty.ucr.edu/~heraty/yanega.html