[Nhcoll-l] Bouin's formula

Julian Carter Julian.Carter at museumwales.ac.uk
Thu Nov 17 06:01:28 EST 2022

Hi Tonya,
I’ve moved alot of material, both invertebrate and vertebrate, out of Bouin’s over the years through an alcohol series with no issues. You may not remove all traces of the original fluid in that a yellow tint will appear in the new solution over time, but any residual ‘Bouin’s’ is going to be highly diluted by this stage. Dried picric acid in jar threads etc is a potential hazard but as already mention a soak in water will sort this. Similarly this may be an issue with dried out material and this presents a good case for attempting rehydration of such material if it is to be retained.
All the best
Jules