[Nhcoll-l] question about fog machine inside museum

Abraczinskas, Laura abraczi1 at msu.edu
Tue Oct 4 14:46:47 EDT 2022

Hello,
A question has come at our museum about the use of a fog machine for an event. The machine is a type from a local party supplies store, and a liquid "fog juice" product is added to create the fog effect.  I am unable to find a specific Safety Data Sheet for the liquid, but it likely contains Propylene glycol and possibly Triethylene glycol. The program staff is suggesting to use the fog machine near a display of elephant skulls and skeletons (with tusks).  There is a mammoth skull also nearby and an adjacent room lined with habitat dioramas.

Our collections staff believes this is inappropriate for use in our museum.  We are looking for information about damage to museum objects/specimens and this type of equipment.  Does your Collections Policy mention or prohibit this type of equipment?  We are in the process of updating our Collections Policy too.

Thank you very much!
Laura

Laura Abraczinskas
Pronouns: She, Her, Hers
Collections Manager, Vertebrate Collections
Michigan State University Museum
409 West Circle Drive
East Lansing, Michigan  48824
USA

(517) 355-1290 (Office)

Michigan State University occupies the ancestral, traditional, and contemporary Lands of the Anishinaabeg-Three Fires Confederacy of Ojibwe, Odawa, and Potawatomi peoples. The University resides on Land ceded in the 1819 Treaty of Saginaw.