[Nhcoll-l] [EXT] Window cleaning spray for inside exhibit

Valerie Tomlinson VTomlinson at nature.ca
Tue Oct 4 17:07:45 EDT 2022

Hi Lori
The last museum I worked at only used a spray of 70% ethanol in water for cleaning its display glass. You can easily make this up yourself by mixing ethanol with water.
It disinfects and degreases, and the slight moisture also aids cleaning. It leaves no residues because everything evaporates.
I didn’t notice any problems with it and it seemed to work fine there.
The cleaner you show has ethanol and water as it’s first 2 ingredients, so that’s likely what does most of the work.
I wouldn’t use the cleaner you have shown there in close proximity to artefacts because there are various trace chemicals that aren’t necessary for glass cleaning (e.g. perfume) and are not beneficial for materials preservation, and may not evaporate (or evaporate slowly).
Valerie Tomlinson