[Nhcoll-l] Labeling Systems for Fluid Preserved Specimens

Bentley, Andrew Charles abentley at ku.edu
Fri Oct 28 10:20:41 EDT 2022

Hi Tom

I think the correct brand for these printers is Datamax which was taken over by Honeywell.  We have been using Datamax printers for over 15 years here at KU and have had no issues with the two models we have used - Prodigy Max and the I-Class Mark II.  They were both very reliable with little to no down time or need for repairs. We are still using the I-Class Mark II and it has been going strong for over 10 years now servicing multiple divisions at the museum through a network connection.

I have heard that newer generations of these printers produced by Honeywell are nowhere near as reliable and have numerous issues.  The company that supplied our Datamax printers, Alpha Systems, has since stopped recommending these printers and moved over to CAB Squib printers instead (see attached), that are supposed to be much more reliable and user friendly.  Their pricing and recommendations are also attached.

I have not heard of anyone buying a used Datamax printer, but, if treated correctly, Datamax printers can last a long time and as such, if you are able to get your hands on a second hand Datamax I-series printer (the Prodigy Max is very outdated now) and funds are scarce, I would suggest that you go for it (from a quick search it looks like they run about $1000-1300 on eBay and other sites).  It also looks like new ones are still to be had at a discount like here: https://www.barcodediscount.com/catalog/datamax-o-neil/part-i13-00-43000007.htm. Just a heads up that network cards and optional cutters may not be included but can probably be found as aftermarket add ons.  Also, I would suggest that you purchase a 300 dpi or higher (model I-4310 or I-4606) to get the best quality print.  Also make sure that you are buying one that predates the Honeywell takeover.  However, if you can afford the attached, I would suggest going with a new CAB printer and save the hassle of not knowing the condition of a second hand printer.  The print head is the most important part of the printer and the most expensive to replace.  If this has been damaged or over used in any way, the printer may be useless.  It is important to keep the print head free from dust or other contaminants in order to ensure good printing quality but other than that, the printer requires very little if any maintenance.  They can be a little tricky to set up initially and to get the settings just right for ideal print quality but there are lots of people in the museum community using them now so that should not be a problem.  Ribbon and media can be ordered through Alpha System regardless of whether you buy a printer from them.

Hope that helps

Andy
    A  :             A  :             A  :
 }<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<)))_°>
    V                V                V
Andy Bentley
Ichthyology Collection Manager
University of Kansas
Biodiversity Institute
Dyche Hall
1345 Jayhawk Boulevard<x-apple-data-detectors://9/>
Lawrence, KS, 66045-7561<x-apple-data-detectors://9/>
USA<x-apple-data-detectors://9/>

Tel: (785) 864-3863<tel:%28785%29%20864-3863>
Fax: (785) 864-5335<tel:%28785%29%20864-5335>
Email: abentley at ku.edu<mailto:abentley at ku.edu>
ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-3093-1258
http://ichthyology.biodiversity.ku.edu<http://ichthyology.biodiversity.ku.edu/>
    A  :             A  :             A  :