[Nhcoll-l] Mixing EtOH

Simon Moore couteaufin at btinternet.com
Wed Sep 7 05:40:13 EDT 2022

Hi Tonya,

This is because water and ethanol form a binary azeotrope when mixed. Someone may take the time to explain this phenomenon in more detail but have a look on the I’net. Even when thoroughly mixed, two miscible fluids of differing specific gravity will start to separate out once again if mixed in large quantities. I mix mine in 2.5 litre bottles but I’m only a ’small producer’ and I tend to upend the bottles gently before decanting, to ensure that the mix is accurate.
I am not sure whether introducing the paddle again after 24 hours will help to reverse this situation or whether it will keep on recurring.
A useful point to consider and hopefully John Simmons, Rob Waller et al., will be able to shed further light.

With all good wishes, Simon

Simon Moore MIScT, RSci, FLS, ACR
Conservator of Natural Sciences and Cutlery Historian,

www.natural-history-conservation.com