[Nhcoll-l] Mixing EtOH

Andrew Stewart AndrewS at tepapa.govt.nz
Wed Sep 7 17:19:54 EDT 2022

Hi Tonya,

Yes, I used to have to decant and re-pour a dozen times to get the solution evenly mixed. Hardly ideal.

Now we decant 70% ethanol from two 50 litre carboys on a trolley. The alcohol is pumped in first, then the water added as the pressure seems to get it right to the bottom. Then the home-made tool (we call the ‘super swizzler’) is plunged up & down several times to ensure everything is thoroughly mixed. The ‘wings’ are made of plastic cut from n icecream container :), and flex to get past the narrow mouth. The concentration is then checked and so far it seems to work.

The larger black one for mixing alcohol in our 250 & 500 l tanks.

Sometimes a home-made solution works just fine.

Ngā mihi
Andrew Stewart

>><<<)o>
Assistant Curator NE (Fishes)