[Nhcoll-l] October On-Line Courses from Museum Study

Jeff Stephenson Jeff.Stephenson at dmns.org
Wed Sep 14 16:15:47 EDT 2022

Hello,
Please see below for a compendium of on-line courses in Museum Studies and Collections Management.  This list is provided by the Society for the Preservation of Natural History Collections Professional Development Committee as a monthly service for nhcoll subscribers.  Please contact the course providers or instructors for more information or questions.
As a reminder, nhcoll is not open for advertising by individuals; however, if you would like to have your courses appear in this compendium, please feel free to submit your offerings to jeff.stephenson at dmns.org<mailto:jeff.stephenson at dmns.org>, and we'll see that you get in.
Thank you

>From Museum Study LLC

Join us for one of our 3 online professional development courses in October.

Decolonizing Museums in Practice course begins Oct 3 on MuseumStudy.com Articles about decolonizing museums are everywhere these days, but what does this actually mean in practice for museum professionals?

Join Laura Phillips, Heather George, and Nathan Sentance for this 8 week online course where we will focus on looking critically at how museum professionals can activate decolonial ways of thinking in their own work environment, and in their day to day life.

We will investigate how the words of contemporary Indigenous scholars and curators can be put into practice to promote practices that de-centre the subtle (and not so subtle) colonial ways of thinking that surround us every day.

The text book can take a while to arrive so make sure to order it well in advance if you can not find it locally. This course fills early, registration is now open for the October/November course.

For more information visit our website:

https://www.museumstudy.com/decolonizing-museums-in-practice

Storage Techniques online course begins Oct 3 on MuseumStudy.com Join Instructor Rebecca Newberry for the 4 week course Storage Techniques. Is your collection at risk due to poor storage methods? Good storage mounts are essential for preserving museum collections. Building on the related course, Materials for Exhibit, Moving, and Storage, in Storage Techniques, you will learn about the materials, tools, ideas, and techniques needed to create quality storage mounts. You will design and build a storage mount for an object of your choosing and plan a storage improvement project for a collection of objects using archival materials and techniques. This course is also useful if you are preparing a collections move.

For more information visit our website:

https://www.museumstudy.com/storage-techniques

How to Tell Stories and Construct Effective Exhibition Labels course begins Oct 3 on MuseumStudy.com Ever wanted to know how to tell stories and construct effective exhibition labels? If so, this course is for you. We will focus on providing you with tips on how to research, develop, and structure content. Plus, how to transform your story into effective exhibition panels and labels. As we delve into all stages of the process, strategies will be provided to build sustainable frameworks for this type of content development. Participants will be encouraged to generate and refine their own ideas for content and exhibition label development that fits their respective institutions. Join Saul Sopoci Drake for the

4 week online course How to Tell Stories and Construct Effective Exhibition Panels.

For more information visit our website:

https://www.museumstudy.com/how-to-tell-stories-and-create-effective-exhibition-panels

--

Brad Bredehoft (he/him/his)

CEO

Museum Study, LLC

www.MuseumStudy.com<http://www.MuseumStudy.com>

JEFF STEPHENSON
EDUCATION COLLECTIONS MANAGER AND
MUSEUM SCIENCE LIAISON

[DMNS 2 Line RGB small.jpg]<http://www.dmns.org/>
jeff.stephenson at dmns.org<mailto:jeff.stephenson at dmns.org>
W  303.370.8319
F   303.331.6492
2001 Colorado Blvd., Denver CO 80205

preserve,<http://community.dmns.org/content/OnlineCommunity.aspx> present, inspire, explore
www.dmns.org

"Egypt: The Time of Pharaohs<https://dmns.mobi/3ssZrTO>" is now open and transports you 5,000 years into the past to explore ancient Egyptian culture and the land of pharaohs.
La exhibición "Egipto: La era de los faraones<https://dmns.mobi/3ssZrTO>" ya está abierta y te transporta 5,000 años al pasado para explorar la antigua cultura egipcia y la tierra de los faraones.

The Denver Museum of Nature & Science salutes the citizens of metro Denver for helping fund arts, culture and science through their support of the Scientific and Cultural Facilities District (SCFD)<http://www.scfd.org/>.