[Nhcoll-l] Mold on specimens (skeletal, taxidermy) and cardboard boxes

Sergio Montagud sergio.montagud at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 05:20:46 EDT 2022

Hello all,
Thanks for all information apport here. I see the ethanol treatment is the best practice recommended for clean the specimens.

Some years ago someone tell me that for clean the lenses and photographic material he employed isopropanol (2-propanol 99,9%).  The technicians that work with electronics gadgets use it regularly for cleaning. It seems that the isopropanol can clean very similar than ethanol but it evaporates more quickly because is all pure (99%) and no water residual can oxidate the metal and electronic contacts.

Since then, I use it regularly for clean my photographic material with best results. And one year ago we had a mold problem in the museum with a bird eggs collection. I used the isopropanol with a clean tisú paper to wash the egg surfaces and all gone Ok. No molds growth again and the eggs are very very clean. Also I use the isopropanol to clean insects before photografied.

Profit this subject, someone knows is the isopropanol can affect some tissue or detailed material in natural history collections?

Best wishes

Sergio