[Nhcoll-l] Freezer Fumigation: is wrapping necessary?

Anderson, Gretchen AndersonG at CarnegieMNH.Org
Tue Apr 11 12:22:08 EDT 2023

Hi Mathew,

Freezing is one of the safest and most straightforward methods to deal with an infestation.  Both Dee and Mike have stated this very clearly.  Dee's advice on resources will explain and justify wrapping the specimens.

Using a double wrap of plastic, removing as much air as possible reduces changes in the equal moisture content of the skins, eliminating shrinking and swelling of the skins and reducing the risk to the specimen. After you freeze you should do the following:

  1.  Thaw, and examine the specimen(s), removing all frass and insect bodies. If you do not do this, and you find another dead beetle you will not know if it is an old or new infestation.
  2.  Make sure that the space the specimens go into is clean and pest free.  Do ongoing monitoring.

If you are interested in learning more about IPM, start with the links that Dee provided. If you want more information I teach some classes on the subject through https://www.museumstudy.com/.

Good luck!

Gretchen Anderson
Conservator
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
(Preferred  pronouns: she/her)
AndersonG at CarnegieMNH.Org<mailto:AndersonG at CarnegieMNH.Org>