[Nhcoll-l] Vouchers and specimen citation tracking

Bentley, Andrew Charles abentley at ku.edu
Fri Apr 21 10:13:02 EDT 2023

Hi Nate

We have a couple of ways in which we are tracking citations associated with the collection.  If an object is referenced in a publication specifically by catalog number, then we are entering that citation into our Specify CMS to link it to the record in question.  We are doing the same for Genbank sequences mentioned in publications that utilize tissue samples from our tissue collection.  The Genbank sequence is entered into the DNA sequence table with a link to Genbank and the citation is entered into the citation table associated with the tissue record.  An example of this can be found here - https://ichthyology.specify.ku.edu/specify/bycatalog/KUIT/5085/.  There is a citation and DNA sequence link at the bottom of the page

However, now with open access to our data through our own web portal and through the major aggregators, we are finding much more use of data through downloads for niche modelling and the like as you mention.  GBIF does a great job of tracking this use from the GBIF platform through listing citations associated with downloads - https://www.gbif.org/dataset/8f79c802-a58c-447f-99aa-1d6a0790825a - see the citations link top right (although these need to be taken with a grain of salt given that a lot of them are not fish related and probably represent download of a larger dataset that as subsequently parsed or cleaned before use).  We are tracking these citations both within the CMS (without linking them to individual records) but also in a Google scholar profile for the collection - https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=FdXNWeMAAAAJ&hl=en&authuser=1.  The advantage of this is that you can get additional metrics associated with collection attribution and advocacy like H-index (although slightly skewed it still represents a relative idea of citations).

Hope that helps

Andy

   A :            A :            A  :
}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>
   V              V              V
 Andy Bentley
 Ichthyology Collection Manager/Specify Usability Lead
 University of Kansas
 Natural History Museum & Biodiversity Research Center
 Dyche Hall
 1345 Jayhawk Boulevard
 Lawrence, KS, 66045-7593
 USA