[Nhcoll-l] Self-levelling trolley - am I looking for a unicorn?!

Anderson, Gretchen AndersonG at CarnegieMNH.Org
Thu Apr 27 16:39:37 EDT 2023

Claire,
I agree with both Andy and Paul. The balloon /pneumatic tires are a good idea.  They would absorb vibrations on the floor.  At Science Museum of Minnesota we used heavy milk carton crates, padded with ethafoam to move many of our fluid collections in gallon jars. As I remember (it was a few years ago) we used our regular carts with lips on them to move the smaller jars, often packed in boxes with dividers.

How steep is the ramp?  That might determine if you need to get more complicated.

Gretchen Anderson
(She/her)
Conservator
Carnegie Museum of Minnesota

From: Nhcoll-l <nhcoll-l-bounces at mailman.yale.edu> On Behalf Of Callomon,Paul
Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2023 1:00 PM
To: Bentley, Andrew Charles <abentley at ku.edu>; Claire Smith <claire.smith at reading.ac.uk>; nhcoll-l at mailman.yale.edu
Subject: Re: [Nhcoll-l] Self-levelling trolley - am I looking for a unicorn?!

I've seen wagons with rigid metal sides (like a child's Radio Flyer truck) and large balloon tires for use on uneven surfaces and sand. They could be used to move drums and tanks of fluid. You may be able to rent them from a site equipment rental place.
e. g. https://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-Wagon-Truck-with-Flow-Through-12X312?gucid=N%3AN%3APS%3APaid%3AGGL%3ACSM-2295%3A4P7A1P%3A20501231&gclid=CjwKCAjwuqiiBhBtEiwATgvixICPgT6Drn4xiM5zSyyOPqGPMtk5LzLDd_d8SOKdqcyvr7Bq5Dkh1hoCKqIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Paul Callomon
Collection Manager, Malacology and General Invertebrates
Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University
1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway, Philadelphia PA 19103-1195, USA
prc44 at drexel.edu<mailto:prc44 at drexel.edu> Tel 215-405-5096 - Fax 215-299-1170