[Nhcoll-l] Moving an insect collection

Anderson, Gretchen AndersonG at CarnegieMNH.Org
Thu Apr 27 16:50:26 EDT 2023

Hi Dave,

I was involved in a move some 20 years ago (my time does fly). Like yours it was a short maybe a mile.  After the move we wrote a book on how we did it - Moving the Mountain.  It is available as a free download at https://new.smm.org/collections/moving. I am having trouble remembering the specifics of what we did with the pinned insects, but it should be described in the pdf.

There is also a course on moving museum collections at Museum Study LLC  https://www.museumstudy.com/moving-museum-collections.

If I remember more specifics I will let you know.

Gretchen

From: Nhcoll-l <nhcoll-l-bounces at mailman.yale.edu> On Behalf Of David Dyer
Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2023 4:10 PM
To: nhcoll-l at mailman.yale.edu
Subject: [Nhcoll-l] Moving an insect collection

Hi Everyone,

Within the next year we will be moving our entire natural history collection to a new collections facility. This will include 24 cabinets of pinned insects in Cornell drawers. Can anyone advise on the best way to move the drawers to mitigate damage to specimens from jostling while on the truck and while loading? We're only moving about 0.5 miles but the road is a bit bumpy in places. We're planning to use a truck with pneumatic air suspension but are wondering about the best method to actually pack the drawers. In boxes? Wrapped in moving blankets?
Thanks!

Dave

David L. Dyer | Curator of Natural History
Ohio History Connection | 800 East 17th Ave.
Columbus, Ohio 43211
p. 614-298-2055 | f. 614-298-2089 | ddyer at ohiohistory.org<mailto:ddyer at ohiohistory.org>

The information contained in this message and/or attachments is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any system and destroy any copies. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender.